The Global MBA has been designed to allow you to study at your own pace from anywhere in the world. We recommend that students spread their study load over 18 months to 3 years to balance work and life, but you could finish in as little as 14 months if you completed four units per term.
For students balancing full-time work, family and other commitments, we suggest undertaking 1-2 units per term. You have the flexibility to slow down or accelerate your studies over the 6 terms every year. You can also enrol in an individual unit that interests you on a non-award basis.
Key application dates
March 2020 Intake
Applications close: 10 February 2020
Term start: 2 March 2020
August 2020 Intake
Applications close: 20 July 2020
Term start: 31 August 2020
Apply for the Global MBA
- An undergraduate degree with a minimum GPA of 5 out of 7 (Australian AQF Level 7 or recognised equivalent).
- Applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in English equivalent to an IELTS of 7.0 overall, with a minimum 6.0 in reading, writing, speaking and listening. Applicants who have undertaken recognised studies taught in English (e.g. undergraduate degree) may already meet this requirement.
- Three years of supervisory (including team/project leader) or professional experience.
- Application form.
- Resume, including details of supervisory or professional experience.
- Details of academic qualifications including academic transcripts and testamurs.
- Two professional referee reports.
- IELTS or equivalent English language results, dated within the last two years.
- A video (maximum length of one minute) covering a brief introduction of yourself, why you are interested in the Global MBA and your expectations of the program.
- Degree (Award) applications close: 3 February 2020
- Term starts: 2 March 2020
Applying for the Performance Track
If you do not meet the direct admission criteria you can still be accepted into the Global MBA through the Performance Track as a non-award student. Performance Track students can be admitted to the Global MBA Degree Program at any point when they have completed at least 40 credit points (8 units) and no more than 80 credit points (16 units) from any specialisation (with the exception of Problem Solving), provided that their Weighted Average Mark at that time is at least 65.
You can also enrol in individual unit(s) that interest you on a non-award basis. To apply for the Performance Track or to study an individual unit, please select the 'Non-Award' Application form.
- Single Unit (Non-Award) applications close: 3 February 2020
- Term starts: 2 March 2020
If you would like more information about the different specialisations and single units visit the program webpage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need to have an undergraduate degree to be admitted into the Global MBA?
Yes, for direct admission to the Global MBA degree, one of the requirements is to have a Bachelor’s or undergraduate degree. Please note that there is an alternative pathway into the degree called the Performance Track.
What is the Performance Track?
The Performance Track is an alternative pathway into the Global MBA, should you currently not meet the direct admission requirements to the degree.
Performance Track students can be admitted to the Global MBA Degree Program at any point when they have completed at least 40 credit points (8 units) and no more than 80 credit points (16 units) from any specialisation (with the exception of Problem Solving), provided that their Weighted Average Mark at that time is at least 65.
Please note that the Problem Solving specialisation is a capstone and as such is excluded from the Performance Track.
There is no admission criteria to become a Performance Track student. If you wish to apply for the Performance Track please select the 'non-award' application.
Do you allow credit transfer or Recognise Prior Learning (RPL)?
A Global MBA degree student may apply for RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). RPL will only be considered for AQF 9 equivalent units, consistent with the Macquarie University RPL policy.
When I graduate, will my degree mention anything about online study or Coursera?
Upon graduation Macquarie University will issue you with an official testamur. The degree testamur will read “Global Master of Business Administration”. There will be no mention of ‘online’ or Coursera.
Do I need to attend the Sydney Campus from time-to-time?
The Global MBA is 100% online with no requirement to attend on-campus. There will be optional local meet-ups in key markets led by faculty, industry, alumni or students. The meet-ups are optional.
How long does it take to complete the degree?
Use the following as a guide to calculate the time to complete the Global MBA Degree. You may choose to increase or decrease your study load in any term.
Enrol in 4 units per term to complete the Global MBA within 14 months (7 terms)
Enrol in an average of 2-3 units per term to complete the Global MBA within 20 months (10 terms).
Enrol in an average of 2 units per term to complete the Global MBA within 26 months (13 terms).
Enrol in an average of 1-2 units per term to complete the Global MBA within 32 months (16 terms).
How do I upload a video to my application?
Please upload your Personal Statement video to your Google Drive* account and name the file in the format “FirstName_LastName_Year”. Configure the settings to enable “viewing” and by “Anyone with the link”. Copy the shareable link and paste it into the Macquarie Online Application Manager as part of your application.
*You may choose to upload your video to another cloud storage platform such as Microsoft OneDrive or Dropbox. If you would like to do this, please ensure that the video is viewable to anyone with the link and also downloadable, so that we can keep the video as part of your application.
How can I sample some of the courses without fully enrolling in the degree?
For a range of reasons, some students may wish to enrol in a single unit. This could be to build skills in a particular area, or perhaps to ‘dip their toe in the water’ before committing to an MBA program. There are a few ways you can do this:
- Sample (audit) an open course for free. This includes videos featuring foundational content, discussion forums and practice quizzes.*
- Join an open course and pay a subscription of AUD$79 per month to achieve a digital certification for your LinkedIn profile. Additional to above, this requires the completion of a peer-review assessment and auto-graded quizzes, amounting to approximately 35 hours of learning.*
- Enrol in the Global MBA degree experience with Macquarie University for $1375 per unit. This includes foundational and exclusive content videos, readings, moderated discussion forums, instructor-graded assignments and weekly facilitated live events (classes). This amounts to approximately 75 hours spread over six weeks. Enrol in the non-award to take a single unit.
*Please note, should you wish to later enrol in a degree unit, only activity completions will be carried over, not assessment completions.
*Please note that course structures and unit offerings are subject to change
If you have any further questions please contact us:
T: +61 2 9850-4622